By Kenneth Calman
Read Online or Download A Doctor's Line: Poetry and prescriptions in health and healing PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
This choice of essays historicizes and theorizes forgetting in English Renaissance literary texts and their cultural contexts. Its essays open up a space of analysis neglected by way of modern Renaissance scholarship, that's too usually swayed via a severe paradigm dedicated to the "art of reminiscence. " This quantity recovers the an important position of forgetting in generating early modernity's subjective and collective identities, wants and fantasies.
The interpretation of realized Latin fabrics into English among round 1370 and 1410 used to be a hugely debatable task. It was once concept prone to make to be had to put audiences the authoritative and highbrow details and techniques of argument formerly merely available to an informed elite - and with that wisdom the facility of data.
The dimensions of the 2012 bicentenary celebrations of Dickens's start is testimony to his prestige as probably the most globally well known literary authors the realm has ever noticeable. but Dickens has additionally develop into linked within the public mind's eye with a specific model of the Victorian prior and with respectability.
In Whores of Babylon, Frances E. Dolan deals a perceptive examine of the important position that Catholics and Catholicism performed in early smooth English legislation, literature, and politics. She contends that regardless of sharing a similar blood, origins, and heritage as their Protestant antagonists, Catholics provoked extra prolific and intemperate visible and verbal illustration, and extra difficult and sustained felony legislation, than the other marginal crew in seventeenth-century England.
- Narratives of Class in New Irish and Scottish Literature: From Joyce to Kelman, Doyle, Galloway, and McNamee (New Directions in Irish and Irish American Literature)
- A Concise Companion to the Restoration and Eighteenth Century
- Epistolary Community in Print, 1580–1664 (Material Readings in Early Modern Culture)
- Coleridge's Ancient Mariner (Nineteenth-Century Major Lives and Letters)
- Cognitive Ecologies and the History of Remembering: Religion, Education and Memory in Early Modern England (Palgrave Macmillan Memory Studies)
- Dickens and the Myth of the Reader
Extra info for A Doctor's Line: Poetry and prescriptions in health and healing
A Doctor's Line: Poetry and prescriptions in health and healing by Kenneth Calman